After years of hard work—including hundreds of members going to Sacramento year-after-year to talk to legislators, and electing politicians who support classified employees—the Summer Bridge Fund is finally a reality.
In June 2018, Governor Brown signed a state budget, which includes $50 million for a summer relief fund to match employee contributions by the state. We now have the safety net we need – and we won it through union power!
Who is Eligible to Enroll
If you meet the conditions to participate, you will be able to set aside funds for the summer (up to 10% of your monthly salary) to the fund starting next school year (2019-20) and receive matching contributions from the state starting in the summer of 2020. This is the eligibility criteria classified employees must meet in order to participate:
- You must have been employed with the participating district for at least one year at the time the you elect to participate in the program;
- Your are employed by the participating district for fewer than 12 months per fiscal year; and
- Your regular annual pay is less than two times the full time pay of a classified employee, paid at the state minimum wage for an entire school year, at the time of enrollment. For purposes of determining regular annual pay, exclude any pay received during the summer recess period of the previous year.
How to Enroll
The application deadline to apply for the program was March 1, 2019. However, classified employees working at the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) have until March 15 to submit their application. Here’s what you need to do and what happens after you submit your application:
- Print out this application and fill it out.
- Submit the application to the designated person/department at your school district. We recommend dropping it off in person. If you drop it off, request a receipt or keep proof of your submission date. If you received an email from your employer with enrollment instructions, follow their instructions. These are the district addresses and departments where applications should be submitted to:
- Los Angeles Unified School District: Fax, email or drop-off to Benefits Administration – Fax: 213-241-8993, Email: [email protected]. Drop off at LAUSD Headquarters at 333 S. Beaudry Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90017, 28th Floor (Benefits Administration) by 5pm on March 15, 2019.
- Compton Unified Human Resources: 501 S. Santa Fe Ave. Compton, CA 90221. A form was sent to all classified employees on Feb. 4.
- Lynwood Unified Classified Personnel Department: 11321 Bullis Rd. Lynwood, CA 90262
- Santa Monica Malibu Unified Human Resources: 1651 16th St. Santa Monica, CA 90404. A memo and form was sent via email to all classified employees on Feb. 11.
- Hacienda La Puente Unified Human Resources: 15959 E. Gale Ave., City Of Industry, CA 91745. Turn in to Jill Rojas, Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources.
- Torrance Unified Payroll and Fiscal Services Dept. – 15959 E. Gale Ave. City of Industry, CA 91745. A memo and form was sent to all classified employees on Feb. 8.
- The school district will confirm your eligibility.
- Starting next school year, 2019-20, the amount you designate will be set aside from your pay check each month and placed in the Summer Bridge Fund.
- In the summer of 2020, you’ll receive your contribution plus matching funds from the state.
For more information about the Summer Bridge Fund Program, please go to https://www.seiu99.org/summerfund.