Members on our SEIU Local 99 Bargaining Team met with LAUSD on February 1 1. We discussed the district’s plan to lift their “Safer At Home” order. Under this plan, more SEIU Local 99 members would have been required to go back to schools and worksites as soon as Tuesday, February 16. We let the district know that moving forward with this rushed plan is unsafe, irresponsible and unacceptable. And they heard us.
The district stopped the rush to expand reopening. We agreed to continue negotiations to ensure safety for all and make sure the voices of classified school workers are heard in all reopening plans.
We are demanding that the district:
• Expand reopening only when L.A. County is out of the Purple Tier and all workers have the opportunity to be vaccinated
• Include front line workers in all discussions regarding schools reopening
• Ensure all existing safety protections and protocols are being followed for essential workers who are currently working at a school or worksite and that there are clear steps for measuring enforcement and progress
• Prioritize vaccinations for workers currently reporting to a worksite
• Ensure emergency paid sick days for workers who must quarantine
Get the latest updates: Urgent Membership Meeting via Zoom – Friday, February 12 at 5pm
We must support our bargaining team. Join us for an Urgent Membership Meeting on Friday to get the latest updates on negotiations. Register to attend. After registering, you will receive information about joining the meeting.