For Tuesday, March 21, 2023
Maya Polon 916.444.7614, email@example.com
Maria Elena Jauregui 818.355.5291, firstname.lastname@example.org – Spanish language media
- Picket Lines to Begin at 4:30 AM Tuesday
- Congressman Adam Schiff to Join Striking Workers for 7 AM Tuesday Press Conference
Los Angeles, CA – Food Service Workers, Custodians, Special Education Assistants, and thousands of other workers in the Los Angeles Unified School District will take to the picket lines early Tuesday morning as their unfair labor practices strike begins.
School bus drivers whose shifts normally begin at 4:30 am will be the first to launch the strike at LAUSD’s Van Nuys Bus Yard. Pickets will continue through Thursday, March 23 with rolling media availability (see schedule below).
Congressman Adam Schiff (D-Burbank) will join striking workers for a 7am press conference Tuesday. Support for the essential school workers of SEIU Local 99 has swelled since the unfair practices strike was announced last week. LAUSD’s classroom teachers represented by United Teachers Los Angeles – 35,000 strong – have announced they will join the strike. SEIU California’s 700,000 members statewide are standing in solidarity with striking school workers.
School workers represented by SEIU Local 99 voted overwhelmingly (96% in favor) to authorize a strike last month. During the strike vote and contract bargaining process, the district subjected workers to surveillance, intimidation, and harassment. Despite misleading actions by LAUSD asserting that the strike for unfair labor practices was illegal, the state agency that oversees public employee relations, the Public Employee Relations Board (PERB), flatly rejected their bid to delegitimize workers’ complaints of unfair, illegal treatment.
“What we are fighting for at the bargaining table – wages that put food on the table, staffing that keeps our schools safe and supports learning – is too important to let the district’s bullying tactics get in the way. Demanding the district respect our rights to fair bargaining and our voice as workers is what this strike is all about,” said Conrado Guerrero, SEIU Local 99 President and a Building Engineer at LAUSD.”
“LAUSD’s unfair tactics at bargaining table, during the strike vote, and in the media won’t shake the resolve of 30,000 hard-working school employees who are determined to fight for their right to bargain for better wages and the staffing our students need,” said Max Arias, Executive Director of SEIU Local 99. “SEIU Local 99 members are standing strong on the strike lines today because LAUSD must be accountable to bargain fairly so we can create the schools our children deserve.”
Latest updates posted here: https://www.seiu99.org/press/
LAUSD Strike Media Availability Events:
Tuesday, March 21
- 4:30 am – Picket Lines at Van Nuys Bus Yard – 16200 Roscoe Blvd Van Nuys, CA 91406
- 7:00 am – Congressman Adam Schiff Joins Workers for Picketing and Press Conference at Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools – 701 S Catalina St, Los Angeles 90005
- 1:00 pm – Rally at LAUSD Headquarters – 333 South Beaudry Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90017
Wednesday, March 22
- 4:30 am – Picket Lines at Gardena Bus Yard 18421 S. Hoover St. Gardena, CA 90248
- 7:00 am – Press Conference & Picketing at Polytechnic High School – 12431 Roscoe Blvd. Sun Valley 91352
- 11:00 am: Rally at LAUSD Local District Office 2151 N. Soto St. Los Angeles, CA 90032
Thursday, March 23
- 4:30 am – Picket Lines at BD Bus Yard 774 E 17th St, Los Angeles, CA 90021
- 7:00 am – Press Conference & Picket Lines at Banneker Career Transition Ctr – 14024 San Pedro St, Los Angeles 90061
- 1:00 pm – Rally – Location to be determined