Members on our SEIU Local 99 bargaining team at the Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE) met to discuss plans and strategies for our upcoming contract reopener negotiations for years 2023-2024. SEIU Local 99 members have the right to reopen and negotiate two non-economic articles in the contract. The two non-economic articles our negotiation team identified are:
- Article X – Transfer Procedures
- Let’s fight so members have a choice on where they will be assigned and with ample advance notice if assigned to another work location or assignment.
- Article XVI – Layoff & Displacement Procedures
- We’re demanding that members be able to fill vacant positions as this will also help address staffing issues.
Our negotiations team has finalized the contract proposals that will be presented to management. The proposals were officially announced to the LACOE Board & Administration on December 5th, 2023, also known as the “sunshine” process in negotiations. Our next step is to make a formal request for negotiation dates to begin bargaining over transfer and layoff/displacement procedures.
SEIU Local 99 member Steve Donini, Digital Print Technician at LACOE emphasizes the importance of standing union strong in anticipation of upcoming negotiations, “The stronger we are the more we can win. The more voices we have the more help we have to improve working conditions.”
Our bargaining team is ready to stand strong as reiterated by Lakay Paige, Human Resource Specialist at LACOE, “It’s important to stand union strong because it’s the only way that workers can make improvements to our jobs.”
Keep checking your emails for important updates. All members need to be ready to take action to ensure we win the contract we deserve!
When we fight, we win!
Here are our negotiations team members at LACOE:
- Kelvin Brown: Microcomputer Support Technician II
- John Fierro: Custodian
- Lakay Page: Human Resources Specialist
- John Parago: Graphic Artist
- Maria Tamayo: Custodian
- Damita Carey-Smith: HR Specialist, Chief Steward
- Carlos Santos: Warehouse Worker
- Glenda Sharp: School Administrative Secretary
- Steve Donini: Digital Print Technician
Remember: we have strength in numbers! As we head back to the bargaining table, let’s increase our power and leverage.
If you are not yet a member of SEIU Local 99, you can sign up at future membership meetings or sign-up online today.
If you have any questions about negotiations or job-related concerns, contact Troylynn Limar at (213) 219-7123 or, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.