When We Vote, We Win! Vote on our Tentative Contract Agreement with SMMUSD

Voting will take place online May 6-8.

SEIU Local 99 members took action like never before to win big gains in our next contract.  Now it’s time to vote to ratify the agreement. The contract agreement cannot go into effect until members vote to ratify it. 

Voting Information:

Voting is taking place online from Monday, May 6th starting at 12PM through Wednesday, May 8th ending at 8:00PM. A link to your unique ballot will be sent to the email and mobile phone number we have on file for you. Look for an email from invitations@mail.electionbuddy.com and a text message from area code 877. The ballot link will be sent by Election Buddy, the neutral, third party vendor we have contracted to conduct the election. The ballot link is unique to you, please do not forward it. 

Please note: There is a membership verification process, please request a ballot by 5PM Wednesday, May 8th to receive it through email and/or text.

Only SEIU Local 99 members are eligible to vote. If you’re not yet a member, sign up online.

What We Won:

Members stood strong and took action to beat-back contingencies (empty promises) and secure a significant 18% wage increase over two years that coupled with our previous 10% increase totals a 28% raise. 

Highlights of the agreement include:

Wage Increases:

  • January 1, 2024 – 5% wage increase + retroactive pay to 1/24
  • July 1, 2024 – 3% wage increase 
  • 2024-25 school year – Two step adjustment effective on step increase date = 5% increase
  • 2025-26 school year – Two step adjustment effective on step-increase date = 5% increase

Plus: 

  • $1000 bonus for all upon ratification of the agreement
  • 1 additional bereavement day for a death outside of immediate family.
  • $20,000 life insurance benefit at no cost to the employee.
  • Increased basis for Security Officers, Paraeducators, Health Office Specialists, and Food & Nutrition Service Workers. 
  • Improved health care benefits for part time workers, including reduced out-of-pocket costs for workers. 

Calculate your wage increase here.

Read the full language of the tentative agreement here.

SEIU Local 99 members are recommending a “Yes” vote: 

  • Roofus Cobbs, Custodian at John Adams Middle School emphasizes, “Our union power drove up our wages to get guaranteed increases. A ‘Yes’ vote validates our work & doesn’t take us back to the table with no guarantees.”
  • Henry Plascencia, Bargaining team member & Skilled Maintenance Worker at SMMUSD, exclaims, “After months of actions, we’ve made significant progress for a strong contract. I’m voting ‘yes’ to guarantee the wage increases we deserve.”
  • Jessica Maclearn, Paraeducator at John Adams Middle School courageously explains, “The solidarity we showed brought us to this point. Voting yes now, so we can prepare to bargain for more increases in 2025.”
  • Venecia Benjamin, Food Service Manager at Webster Elementary School enthusiastically states, “Our hard work has finally paid off, voting yes guarantees our much deserved wage increases, that’s why I’m voting ‘yes’.”

Keep your co-workers informed. Share this post!

Leave A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.