Provider Resources

Welcome to the Provider Resources Page! If there are any resources you’d like to see here or if you have something to share, send an email to Click or tap the topics to see more.

Join Our Facebook Community

In our profession, often times the collective experience of our fellow providers is the best source of information. If you’re on Facebook, join the conversation with fellow child care providers about anything and everything related to our profession and make new connections. This is a closed member-only group.

Join the SEIU Local 99 Child Care Providers Group



If you need work-related assistance from or if you have a question, SEIU Local 99’s Member Resource Center is here to help. Go to to see ways to get help.

Did you know our contracts contain answers to many work-related questions? If you think your issue is contract-related, read your contact first.

SEIU Local 99 benefits are programs and services offered to all members. To view all member benefits visit

California Department of Social Services – Community Care Licensing

Providers deal with several different departments, agencies, and groups when running their family child care. Licensing is one of the most important because it is responsible for issuing our licenses, conducting regular home inspections, and can also take disciplinary actions like citations or license revocations. You can find vital information bulletins and relevant notices on their site.


Quarterly Updates

Every quarter (January-March, April-June, July-September, October-December) Licensing releases an informational update for child care providers. These bilingual (English, Spanish) bulletins contains safety tips, upcoming changes to regulations, notices about licensing inspections, and more.

Read the latest edition.

Provider Information Notices (Pins)

When the state makes changes to licensing regulations, like the Mandatory Abuse Reporter training requirement, Licensing will issues a notices to inform providers. These notices are also available in Spanish.

Read the latest PINs.

After Community Care Licensing, Resource and Referral Agencies are the most important group providers work with. The California Department of Education issues contracts (funds and agreements) to R& R’s to hire providers who then offer care to children eligible for subsidy. They can also help private pay families find care in their neighborhoods. Unfortunately, we often have to jump through many hoops to find the right person to talk to about payment or contracting issues, greatly impacting our livelihoods. Sometimes there can be arbitrary and unfair treatment at the hands of R&R agencies.

That’s where we come in. When hundreds of providers come together — agencies listen. Through 15 years of organizing, we’ve learned a thing or two about what it takes to ensure we are paid on time and treated with respect. Here are a few places you can find help.

Early Learning and Care Division (ELCD)

ELCD Consultants provide assistance and answer questions about early education and support. Consultants vary by region. Find your contact.

Child Care and Development Programs

The California Department of Education offers information about how child care slots are funded in the state. They are a mix of federal, state, and local funding sources.

Read more.

Laws, Regulations, and Requirements

Child care centers, R&Rs, Alternative Payment (APs), and in-home family child care are all regulated by guidelines set forth by the state and regulated by the California Department of Education. This includes many parts of the California Education Code but most significantly Title V and Title XXII. Title V outlines rules for programs like CalWorks 1 & 2, federal grants, and more. Title XXII outlines regulations and requirements for our license.

Read more.

CCPU’s health fund is designed to work with your health plan, it does not replace your health plan. This allows us to cover more providers with the available funding. The CCPU Health Care Fund will cover benefits for eligible providers for expenses, such as health plan out of pocket, including medical copays and deductibles, pharmacy copays and deductibles, and some health plan monthly premium expenses.

How to apply for the CCPU Health Care Fund
ONLINE: The fastest and easiest way to apply
PRINT: Download a paper application available on
the website
MAIL: Request an application to be mailed to you.
To request an application to be mailed to you, please
call customer service at (833) 714-6028.
Benefits will be effective January 1, 2023 with a
delayed start in processing and reimbursements.
These benefits will be provided by the Child Care
Providers United California Workers Health Care
Fund (the “CCPU Health Care Fund”), a health care
trust governed by the Board of Trustees, who are
appointed by SEIU Local 99, SEIU Local 521, and t

Quality care for little ones means providers wear many hats including making nutritious meals and snacks throughout the day for the children in our care. There are federal/state programs to help the ease the cost of meals/snacks for providers. The Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP), administered federally by the United States Department of Agriculture, provides reimbursement for eligible meals served. In California, this program is managed by the California Department of Education.

Please keep in mind that there are recording keeping and eligibility requirements. Providers caring for children eligible for subsidy or private pay are both eligible for the program. Providers must sign an agreement with a sponsor to participate in CACFP. The sponsor organizes training, conducts monitoring, and helps with planning menus and filling out reimbursement forms.

Sponsors vary by county. Find a sponsor.

The California Department of Education is responsible for a variety of education regulations, laws, and contracts. For family child care providers, they set the Regional Market Rates (RMR) which providers utilize on their rate sheets for payment. Rate sheets are kept on file with the various agencies you work with to calculate your compensation so it is important your sheets are updated to ensure you are paid in full for every child you care for. Most agencies allow you to update your rate sheet once every fiscal year (July-June).

Rates vary by county. Find your rate.

As an SEIU member, you have exclusive access to liability insurance for your child care business. Waivers and most homeowner’s insurance will not cover you if you are sued for any alleged illness or injury caused to a child while under your care. Liability insurance helps you keep peace of mind when something unexpected happens because we know accidents and property damage are a fact of life for child care providers. Our liability insurance offers coverage through Program Managers, Inc (PMI). Some benefits include:

  • Liability Limits: You are eligible to purchase a limit of liability of $1,000,000/$3,000,000 for your child care business.
  • Accidental Medical Expense: Coverage up to $10,000 for incurred expenses to cover medical or surgical treatment, services, or supplies if the first expense is incurred within 1 year of the date of a covered accident.
  • Business Personal Property: Coverage for your daycare property if damage should occur when your operation experiences fires, earthquakes, etc. Business personal property can be defined as: Building, equipment, fixtures, furniture, merchandise, etc., identified in an insurance policy as owned by the insured and used in your business.
  • Lost Wages/Income: You can purchase coverage for your lost wages or income in a covered property loss. You are also able to adjust your limit and choose the amount of coverage that works for you.
  • Administrative and Hearing Fees and Costs: New coverage option for up to $5000 for administrative and hearing fees and costs.
  • Streamlined Processing and Payment Options: You can now apply for your liability insurance online! You can also submit payment for your coverage online, including an option for monthly payments. There is no additional paperwork required for your monthly payment plan and your payment amount will be available next to your annual premium cost.
  • Same-Day Proof of Coverage: Print your insurance certificate the same day you apply from the comfort of your home.

Apply now.

You can also submit your application in writing. Download the paper application.

If you have any questions or need help filing your application, please contact:

Ginny Wimberly
Program Managers, Inc.

Providers work hard to care for the children in their communities and help their families get to work. But, sometimes we need a little help. If you are encountering issues with a Licensing citation or legal action, we recommend contacting an attorney for support.


John D. Bishop

5000 Birch St., Ste 7000
Newport Beach, CA 92660
P: (949) 557-4888 | F: (949) 557-4899

Janice C Mendel

21900 Burbank Blvd. 3rd Floor
Woodland Hills, CA 91367
P: (818) 917 -2215 | F: (818) 337 – 2945

Public Counsel

A pro bono legal firm offering legal advice and templates for providers caring for children including parent-provider contracts, immunizations, disability compliance, tenant rights, etc. Read more.

These resources are for informational purposes only. Legal services are not provided by SEIU Local 99 and as such we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the services or advise provided.

Finding ways to strengthen your early care knowledge can be a challenge for family child care providers on a limited budget. Over our 15 years of organizing we’ve advocated for more funds for training and won millions of dollars for provider-specific professional development programs. In addition to our member benefits, there are also additional tools available to providers with Early Care and Education organizations.

Early Care and Education Workforce Registry

Quality Start: Los Angeles and San Bernardino

Running a business, helping young minds learn, cooking, cleaning, and helping families navigate parenthood can be a lot! That’s why over the years we’ve collected and shared information on best practices to assist providers with marketing strategies, tax tips, self-care, and more. Here are some of our favorite tools:

Carina Care-Promote your child care business

If you are able to care for more children, register for Carina, which will connect you to them. Carina is a free self-service website created to help you find clients near you. Carina is currently an invite-only service. Email Carina at to request an invite and provide your first name, last name, and state you are a member of SEIU Local 99. For more information visit:


Struggling with low-enrollment? Trying to create a presence on social meda with limited resources? Read more.


As business owners, Providers can benefit greatly from learning how to itemize deductions and other strategies. Tom Copeland has worked with providers for over 38 years providing financial guidance and regularly hosts workshops for our members. Read more.

Eligible SEIU members and their families can earn an Associates Degree or Certificate online without paying for tuition, fees, or e-books! You can earn an Associate’s Degree in Accounting, Business Management, Criminal Justice, Early Childhood Education, Individualized Study, and Paralegal or a Certificate in Business Management or Patient Home Navigator. Find out how to enroll:

SEIU Local 99 offers all active members of our union first aid and CPR training free of charge. Child care provider’s assistants are welcome to attend but must pay a $50 fee through Venmo, a mobile payment service. Most classes are from 8:00 am- 4:00 p.m. and are led by medical professionals with the American Red Cross. Due to high demand, if you register and do not cancel at least 3 business days before the scheduled CPR training, you might not be able to take classes with us in the future. For more information, text your first and last name and the date you wish to attend to Melissa Noriega at 213-215-7947.


  • Arcadia (376 W Huntington Dr, Arcadia, 91007)
  • Commerce (2227 S Atlantic Blvd, Commerce, 90040)
  • Santa Monica (1450 11th St, Santa Monica, 90401)
  • Long Beach (3150 E 29th St, Long Beach, 90806)

First AID & CPR Schedule for  2023 in English:


  • Sunday, April 16, 2023
  • Saturday, August 5, 2023
  • Saturday, November 4, 2023

Long Beach

  • Saturday, September 16, 2023

First AID & CPR Schedule for  2023 in English:


  • Sunday, March 26, 2023
  • Sunday, May 28, 2023
  • Sunday, July 9, 2023
  • Sunday, August 6, 2023

Santa Monica

  • Sunday, July 23, 2023

Long Beach

  • Sunday, September 17, 2023

The Tuition Assistance Fund is here to support you to reach your professional development goals as it relates to higher education and your work as a family child care provider. Each calendar year, you will be eligible to receive $5,000 in tuition assistance if you have served a child receiving subsidies within the last twelve months. You can use your tuition assistance to pursue a degree, continuing education, and/or ESL, GED, and computer courses.

You can apply online at

The CCPU Training Fund provides professional development by consulting with family child care providers about our professional learning goals across regions and languages. Our peer-to-peer learning is informed and led by providers for providers with a focus on business development and child development. Our work is accomplished by bringing together early educators to design and facilitate worker-centered, relationship-based, accessible education and training programs. We provide wraparound support systems to ensure access, including distributing free hardware (like tablets and hot spots), and tuition assistance funding for providers to pursue our goals related to higher education. Our peer-led approach to professional development builds and strengthens networks among providers through which we find support and aid each other in resilience to do our work.

For more information on CCPU’s training fund visit